In addition to the regular news blog postings, "This Week At Sacred Heart Catholic School" posts are intended to give a quick run down of important events and highlight announcements and key information for parents, students, faculty and staff on a (mostly) weekly basis.
The first day of every new school year is traditionally "Orientation Day" which all students and parents attend. The day begins at 8:00 a.m. with an assembly in Sheridan Hall. Students and their parents will then meet their teachers and visit their classrooms where they will be introduced to specific classroom policies and procedures and will receive their textbooks. Student's and parents may leave at the teacher's discretion once all school and classroom activities are complete. Classes will begin in full on Tuesday, August 8.
Sacred Heart Catholic School Welcomes New Middle School Teachers, Reshuffles Teaching Positions, & Says Farewell to a Few Departing Teachers
Our former Kindergarten teacher Ms. Yemil Andrade has returned and taken the 8th grade position. Ms. Andrade will be in charge of Theology and Mathematics for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. Ms. Cynthia Smith-Capin has joined Sacred Heart Catholic School and taken the 6th grade position. She will be in charge of Science and English Language Arts for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades.
Ms. Frances Colunga, our current Middle School Chair, will move up to 7th grade. Ms. Colunga will continue to teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade History and Literature and will teach a new Writing class in conjunction with her Literature curriculum. Mr. Arturo Garino, our Art Teacher and former Nogales Mayor, will expand his middle school duties this year. Mr. Garino has been named Middle School Co-Chair alongside Ms. Colunga.
Sacred Heart Catholic School also bids a fond bittersweet farewell to Ms. Leslie Rojas (Reading Intervention) who has moved on to pursue personal religious opportunities, as well as Ms. Dulce Dueñas (Preschool) and Mr. John K. Kandikatla (8th Grade & Music) who have relocated to other schools. Mrs. Margarita Valenzuela has taken over in Preschool in the wake of Ms. Dueñas's departure.
What's Happening This Week:
- Monday, August 7, 2017
- Saint of the Day: St. Sixtus II & Companions, St. Cajetan
- First Day of School / Orientation Day
- Assembly at 8:00 a.m. in Sheridan Hall (Cafeteria): all faculty, staff, students, & parents are required to attend
- Early Release at the teacher's discretion
- Tuesday, August 8, 2017
- Saint of the Day: St. Dominic
- First Full Day of Classes
- Wednesday, August 9, 2017
- Saint of the Day: St. Theresa Benedicta of the Cross
- Early Release at 12:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 10, 2017
- Saint of the Day: St. Lawrence, Deacon
- Friday, August 11, 2017
- Saint of the Day: St. Clare
- Weekly School Mass at 10:00 a.m. at Sacred Heart Church. All parents are welcome to attend.
- The NWEA-MAP Fall Testing Session will run from August 14 through September 22
- First Quarter Progress Reports will be sent home on September 1
- There will be no classes on Monday, September 4 in observance of Labor Day
- The annual Dinner Dance Fundraiser will be held on Saturday, September 9
As always, please regularly visit the website News and Calendar sections or follow the school on Facebook and/or Twitter, for announcements, information, and updates about important activities and events at Sacred Heart Catholic School.
Thank you and have a great week!