History of Sacred Heart Catholic School
Sacred Heart Catholic School was established in 1910 under the leadership of Father Louis Duval. Father Duval was recruited by Bishop Jean-Baptiste Salpointe and Bishop Henri Granjon all of whom came from France to help propagate the faith in the rapidly growing territory of Arizona. The school was built for $13,000.00 and Father Duval recruited the Sisters of St. Dominick to staff Sacred Heart Catholic School. Their charism, “To bring to the apostolate of teaching a personal witness to the truth and love of Jesus Christ and in so doing remain at the heart of the Church’s mission to make disciples of all nations”, remains a dominant focus at Sacred Heart Catholic School to this day.
During the ensuing years the school was operated by the Adrian Dominican Sisters of Michigan, the Sisters of Mercy, and the Minim Daughters of Mary Immaculate. The school opened and closed numerous times during these years. Sacred Heart Catholic School was closed from 1998 through 2001 when it re-opened under the leadership of Father Marcos C. Velasquez, then acting Pastor, with a preschool and kindergarten program.
From 2001 through 2009 the school opened one grade level annually and is now a preschool through eighth grade school. There is currently one grade level classroom for each grade.